Experienced design leader, designing and shipping web, mobile & desktop software.
My skillset includes leading design and UI teams, product strategy and discovery, user research, rapid prototyping & validation, user interface design and frontend development. Here are the tools I use.
In the past I have built and shipped products from scratch, designing the UX, writing production-ready code and running marketing and growth campaigns. Check out my portfolio or GitHub for examples of my work, products I've built and code I've written.
I take a lean agile approach to product design, using research and data to help guide design decisions early in the process, continuously validating assumptions & iterating.
I have a Masters in Multi-Disciplinary Design from University of Ulster Belfast and am currently Director of Design at OneSignal in San Francisco, building the future of messaging. Previously I have managed design and frontend teams at Mesosphere, Mailgun (acquired by Rackspace), Kareo and Runnable (acquired by MuleSoft), was Founder of Lookaly and created HTML Email and Codeshare.
🎨 Design Skillset
- Managing Design & UI Teams
- User Experience Design
- Developer Experience
- Lean Product Development
- Mobile & Responsive Design
💻 Development Background
- I am a designer that can code
- Comfortable with backend: Rails, Node.js, PHP
- Other dev skills: Git, Email, Wordpress, Ghost
🍄 Active Side Projects
📮 Open-Source Software
- Grunt Email Workflow
- Responsive HTML Email
- Transactional Email Templates
- Motherplate (Sass Boilerplate)
📣 Speaking Engagements
- Fluent Dev Conf, San Francisco
- Litmus Email Conf, Boston
- Web Unleashed Dev Conf, Toronto
- Future of Web Design, San Francisco
💪 Other Credits
- Mentor for Lean Startup Machine, Los Angeles
- Mentor for Startup Weekend, Oakland
- Author for Smashing Magazine
- Author for Web Designer Depot
- Author for tuts+
- Wired magazine feature
- .Net magazine feature [pdf]
🤓 Articles Of Mine You Should Read
- Enterprise design stack: the tools we use to design the datacenter operating system (UX Collective)
- How we design enterprise software (Noteworthy)
- On the importance of design team education and building a culture of learning
- Side projects are your playground
- An introduction to building and sending HTML email for web developers (Smashing Magazine)
- How to get started user testing at your company (InVision blog)